Twenty-five years ago a group of friends decided to explore an idea. Instead
of commuting to a church outside of town, they wondered what would it look like to start a charismatic expression of church in Dumbarton. This small group started to meet in houses and out of these conversations was born something special. Some intial conversations were held about what to call a group of people following Jesus, the Rock of scripture, while living in a town where the residents are known as "sons of the rock." It quickly became obvious that there was only one name possible and Rock Community Church was born. What started as a tentative step into the unknown has now become part of the community here in Dumbarton. We are excited by everything God has done in us and through us over the past twenty-five years and over a weekend in November 2016 we held a number of celebration events. Below you'll find some video elements we used during the celebrations, a quiz, some photos from the events and some things people said they were thankful for over the past two and a half decades.
“Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, for His steadfast love endures forever.”
25 YEARS IN 25 QUESTIONS
1. As a church with no building we’ve met in many places over the past twenty-five years, how many council run venues has the Rock held services in?
2. Many of the congregation have been to Rwanda but during a two week trip there how much weight did Gavin Nicol put on?
3. There have been many celebrations of love over the past twenty-five years but in which year did Alistair and Maureen McDougall celebrate their fiftieth wedding anniversary?
4. And for a bonus point finish this cheeky quote from Alistair at their fiftieth anniversary celebrations, “The past fifty years have felt like fifteen minutes…”
5. We used to help support an ecumenical homeless project at Dumbarton Baptist Church but what was it called?
6. We’ve had various elders down the years and we’ve had various musicians but who are the only two elders who has played guitar during a worship time at the Rock?
7. The rock has its own brand of coffee which has stories of justice behind each roast, what’s it called?
8. The founding members of the Rock were previously part of which church before planting the Rock?
9. Hannah and Smiddy used to run a youth group at the Rock, what was it called?
In the early days of the rock, many of the members helped run a local kayak club but what do these kayaking terms mean?
11. “eskimo roll”
13. The Rock took its name from Dumbarton Rock and the Biblical image of God as a solid rock but where in the Bible would you find this verse, “The lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my god, my rock, in whom I take refuge; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold”?
14. Which local church building did the Rock hold evening services in once a month?
15. Alistair Macindoe was born in the back of a particular type of vehicle, what was it?
16. The Rock supports the work of a number of international projects. One of these is Embrace the Middle East but prior to being called that, what was its name?
17. Many at the Rock have a heart for Rwanda but in which village have we helped build houses for widows and support the community through a beekeeping project?
18. The Rock held a joint youth camp every summer with a bunch of other churches, what was this event called?
19. In what year did the Rock decide that it was time that should have a name and decided upon Rock Community Church?
20. Our logo has 3 objects which feature around the words, but what are these three items?
And for your final four questions, name the hymns or worship songs these lyrics come from:
21. Lord I come to Your awesome presence,
From the shadows into Your radiance.
22. The Lord has promised good to me,
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
as long as life endures.
23. Your love is a mystery, how You gently lift me
When I am surrounded, Your love carries me
24. And when I think of God, His Son not sparing
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in
25. You're rich in love
And You're slow to anger
Your name is great
And Your heart is kind
1. FIVE (Dumbarton Academy, Burgh Hall, Denny Civic Theatre, Concord Centre, and West Bridgend Hall)
2. One stone!!!! Gavin, no tickets to the gun show that fortnight, amazing what no gym and a strict diet of heavy carbs will do to you.
4. With a playful glint in his eye, Alistair finished the sentence with "in a dentist's waiting room." Got the laugh he was looking for in the midst of a celebration of love and faithfulness. Congratulation McDougalls!!!!!
6. Alistair Macindoe and Alan Thwaites.
7. Oikos Coffee, check in out HERE.
8. Alexandria Christian Fellowship
9. "MINI ME"s
10. A small fin attached to the rear of the kayak to help it stay straight.
11. When you capsize but carry on all the way around so that you are back upright again.
12. The noise you make when you fall in. Sorry, that was a poor joke!
13. Psalm 18:2
14. St Augustine's Episcopal Church. Thank you St Augs, it was an honour to meet in your beautiful building.
15. A peanut truck. If you want to know more you'll need to ask the man himself.
18. Link Camp
20. Goose, rock and river
21. Shine Jesus Shine
22. Amazing Grace
23. Your love is amazing
24. How Great Thou Art
25. 10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord Oh My Soul)