Herod and the wise men
The Great Escape
Dreams and Prophecies
* Some wise men 👑👑👑 (sometimes called magi) from the east see the stars align ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️and you know what that means.
Oh, you don't ❓❓❓
Well, it means a special baby was born. 👶🏻👶🏻👶🏻
They go to King Herod and ask where the child is. OH OH Danger ‼️‼️‼️
* Not exactly the best move on their part. You see, Herod gets crazy jealous 😡😡and sends the wise men to find the baby 👶🏻👶🏻👶🏻 and report back to him on the child's whereabouts. Danger ‼️ ‼️‼️
It's not so Herod can send a birthday present. 🎁🎁🎁
* The wise men find baby Jesus and bring a treasure chest of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. 💰💰💰 🏺🏺🏺 ⚱️⚱️⚱️
* But before they head out 👣👣👣they're warned in a DREAM 😴😴😴 NOT to tell Herod where the child is. 🤐🤐🤐
* Once the wise men leave 👑👑👑 an angel comes to Joseph in—you guessed it— a dream 😴😴😴
In this one, Joseph is told to pack up 👝👝👝 and head off to Egypt until further notice.
Why the rush 🏃🏃🏃 you ask ❓❓❓
Oh, only because Herod is out for blood 💉💉💉 and is looking to kill Jesus 🗡🗡🗡 OH OH Danger‼️ ‼️‼️ Sounds like a valid reason!
* Herod soon realizes that he was stood up by the wise men 👑👑👑 and he is NOT happy. 😖😖😖 Ha Ha !
* Since he wasn't told where the child was, he resolves to kill 🗡🗡🗡 all infant boys in Bethlehem who are two years old or younger. 👶🏻👶🏻👶🏻
And yet ANOTHER prophecy is fulfilled—this time, Matthew quotes Jeremiah.
* Finally, Herod dies ⚰️⚰️⚰️ and Jesus, Mary, and Joseph are in the clear 🆓🆓🆓
In yet another DREAM 😴😴😴 God gives them the go-ahead to return home. 🔑🔑🔑
* But instead of going back to Judea, they settle in Galilee, which fulfills ANOTHER prophecy (aren't there a lot of prophecies)! although the source of this one is a bit fuzzy. 😀😀😀 happy ending 😀😀😀
(Shmoop Editorial Team. (2008, November 11). Gospel of Matthew Chapter 2 Summary. Retrieved November 8, 2016, from http://www.shmoop.com/matthew-gospel/chapter-2-summary.html)